1. Personalized Service: Community foundations help individuals, families, businesses, and nonprofit agencies achieve their charitable and financial goals by providing tools and resources that make giving easy, flexible, and effective.
- Donors can create a charitable fund and recommend grants that support the issues and groups they care about – such as the arts, education, the environment, and healthcare – even if these groups are located outside of their local community. Or donors can rely on the foundation to make grants that reflect their particular interests.
- We are an attractive alternative to starting a private foundation, since we handle all record keeping, reporting to the IRS, accounting, and investment management.
- Donors who establish a fund at a community foundation benefit from the highest available tax deductions for charitable contributions.
- Donors can establish a variety of funds, depending on their financial and charitable goals. Some approaches focus on giving in the near-term, while others enable donors to make giving a part of their estate planning strategy.
- Donors have opportunities to be involved in the grantmaking process, including recommending grant recipients.
- Donors can create an individual or family legacy by establishing a named fund at a community foundation – which can help ensure that future generations learn the value of giving back.
- We can accept a variety of assets and facilitate complicated giving strategies.
- We pool the assets of individual funds, giving us economies of scale to hire top investment managers.
- Donors can choose to be anonymous in their giving.
2. Local Expertise: Community foundations have an in-depth understanding of the community’s challenges and the groups and individuals addressing them.
- We closely monitor community issues, opportunities, and resources.
- Our knowledge of the community enables us to make a difference by funding high-impact initiatives addressing a broad range of local needs.
- Our expertise helps donors learn more about local issues in order to make their giving as effective as possible.
3. Community Leadership: Community foundations play a key role in addressing community needs, now and in the future.
- We serve as community catalysts, convening diverse voices and groups to work on solutions to local issues.
- We build endowments to ensure that grants are always available to support the community.
- We foster greater giving and volunteering in our community.
- We are governed by leaders with strong ties to their communities.